Monday, July 10, 2023

Weekly Prompt

 

Prompt Came from: https://fabledplanet.com/50-fantasy-writing-prompts/


Prompt: A prophet realises that they will be the cause of the catastrophic event they have foreseen – and they’re not so sure they want to stop it.


His head throbbed, worse than it ever had before. He should be used to the feeling of his scalp pounding like a jackhammer, and he was most of the time, but never before did it feel as if it someone struggled to rip his skull from his scalp. He wasn’t sure if it came from the intensity of the vision he just had or the contents of it. Either way, he needed to sit down.

He held his hand out, grabbing for any piece of furniture he could find. His arms flounders around like a fish out of water for a second or two before it reached . . .

Soft cloth.

“Here let me help you, Simon,”

“Jack, that you?” There was no way, Simon would try opening his eyes. All he’d see would be dark grayness for another minute or two. The visions always left him in a sort of darkness afterwards. More of dark grays and light black mingled together until all he saw was . . .

Nothing. Not even shapes.

“Yeah, buddy, it’s me. Why did you not shout out for me?”

“Thought I could handle it myself.”

“We’ve told you anytime you have one of these Spiritual Visions that we will aid you.”

Simons knew his three best buddies would do anything for him. They’d grown up with him, saw him struggle with coming to terms with his mystical ability that he inherited from his biological parents. Heck fire, they helped more than his adopted parents managed to. Oh, they’d been supportive and tried to understand what he required but never quite grasped how important his visions was to the world. His visions redirected the entire world’s path of life. Kept it from fallen into tiny particles of dust from time to time. Once it kept a meteor shower that would have sent the world from spiraling out of orbit from hitting. Another time, he kept some mad-man from blowing up half of the US. Each time he had a vision it saved either the world or someone majorly related to the daily functioning of a major aspect of some part of the world. He worked closely with each major military enforcement of each government. Each vision he had impacted someone’s life in a major way and the one he had was no exception. But none had ever effected his personal life before. And it was in no simple manner. Life or death one. And for once, he did not wish to change it. If he did, his besties, their family and his own would die. They stood beside him when others left before he could even explain what he was. Heck, he knew the government only kept him around because of his ability, if it wasn’t for how it aided them he’d have been locked away or killed many years ago. They would want him to defend the world, not worry about a handful of people, but he would not betray his family and those who cared about him more than anyone else. He would not do so. Not for anyone, not even his own life.

“What was it this time? Which government do I need to call for you this time?”

The refrigerator door opened as Jack retrived me a bottle of cold water, which he always did after I had one of my visions. Each of my friends knew how dried out they left my mouth and whoever was around me made sure I had what I needed to recoup from them before they made the calls for me. That is why I would not be calling in my handlers.

“I need you to call Hank, Cal and tell them to gather their family. You call yours too. Tell them they are to pack only a bag of clothing for three night stay.” I let my eyelids slid up, blinking twice before I was able to focus enough to remember where my phone was. “Tell them all to meet us at the safe house.”

“What is going on?” Jack passed me the water as he tugged his phone from his back pocket. “What did you see?”

“I’ll explain once everyone is at the safe house and we can all get to safety.”

“Okay. Consider it done.”

No comments:

Post a Comment