Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Hipppocamp


I’m sure anyone who watched Percy Jackson – Sea of Monster will recall what today’s mythical creature is. To me it is one of the beautiful water creature I know of. (Not really saying much. I’m always finding a new mythical creature to inspire me.) For those who only know this animal by sight from the movie, here is a bit more information.

Hippocamp is a hybrid sea creature found in Greek, Phoenician, and Etruscan Mythology, Sometimes it is referred to sea horse, a beast with front half of a horse and the coiling scaly topside of a fish. The fact that interest me the most was that the Roman mosaics Hippocamps are covered in green scales and the winged Hippocamps pictured pulling Neptune’s (Poseidon) chariot.

I often wondered how come the Hippocamp was chosen for the Percy Jackson movie. I learned why when finding facts about his post. In Greek Legend of Jason and his Argonauts hunted the pat for the Golden Fleece they watched as a giant Hippocamp was unhitched from Poseidon’s chariot, then rose from the sea and galloped away, signally that they should follow.

Facts came from: The Mythical Creatures Bible by Brenda Rosen



 Image came from: http://jennywheat.deviantart.com/art/Hippocamp-272784070

No comments:

Post a Comment