Monday, May 27, 2019

Flash Fiction Monday



* * *
Unedited Scene
Adult Content
If under 18 leave site
M/M Content
* * *
Been a long week. Boy had it. Time flew by, yet crept. Never in my life had I felt as bad as yesterday. Who knew a migraine could sideline you for an entire week. Not me. Not any of my kind. We did not get sick, unless . . .
Lack of magic. Meant being away from my magic for a year was starting to take a toll on me. Next I would be catching common colds. Never understood why my kind shortened their life expectancy if they stopped using their magic. I knew it would happen, but . . . part of me thought it was some kind of fairytale. Boy was I wrong. But it was worth it. For sure.
“Jonathan, you feeling better?” Ray stood in the middle of the doorway, refusing to cut the overhead light on.
“Come on in.” The sweet endearment hung on the tip of my tongue. Couldn’t say it though. He made it clear when he moved in two years ago that he did not tolerate magic. Wasn’t sure why, but I knew that moment that I would have to take care of my magical abilities somewhere else. A year ago Ray realized what I was doing each Saturday when I was supposedly going out on dates. As if I could have done that. From the second week Ray moved in, my eyes had been fixed on him. No one else came close to the warm-hearted, caring, giving, loving man. Not like he saw me as anything more than a very close friend and roommate. Still I would not disrespect my feelings for him. Nope. Couldn’t. Wouldn’t.
“Headache gone?”
“Yes.”
“Good.” Ray came into the room, taking a seat beside me on the bed, patting the top of the comforter that covered me. Warmth soaked in with each bit of contact. Soothed my heart and made the sideeffects of not using magic more than worth it. “I know why this came about.”
Shit. “What then?”
“Don’t play coy with me.” Ray sighed. “You stopped using your magic. For me. Didn’t you?”
Lying was another thing I could not do to Ray, so he got a small nod.
“Thought so. No one . . . not something . . .  Why?”
Silence was my answer.
“I’m just a roommate. Why stop living your life?”
Silence answered for me again.
“I know why. Not sure why I didn’t see it before now.” Another deep sigh. “Yes I do. I’ve kept you at arms length since I found out you bore magical powers. It wasn’t fair of me. Wrong of me to let my . . . history with magic to control you and my life for so long.”
Was I finally going to discover why he disliked magic? Hoped so.
Ray ran a hand over his face, groaning. “I do not want you to forgo your magic because my brother made my childhood hell.”
“How so?”
“He was the only one in my family who bore that talent. The rest of us were . . . just . . . normal. He never tested his skills on my parents, thankfully, but I wasn’t off limits while he was being taught his newfound powers.”
No wonder. Learning wasn’t meant to be taken out on others. It was supposed to be done in theory until you made it through all the materials. By then, you were taught what was good and bad usage of magic. I’d known some though my learning that practiced their skills, but most of them came from magical families. Had expectations to live up to. Like I did. Me not using mine had caused a huge stain on my family, or so my parents swore.
“I do not want you to stop your magic. You are not my brother and I . . . I . . . ca - - care too much for you to do that to you.”
“Care?”
“You know how I feel for you.”
“I don’t.”
“Then let me . . .” Ray’s lips were against mine before I could ask him to finish his thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment