Thursday, May 9, 2019

Flash Fiction Part 6



“If you are not aware,” Clan Head Roberts walked in front of the line we formed. “The selection contains two parts. Magical Abilities.” One I can manupliate in my favor. “And . . . Physical Aspects.” What? Was he going to study our bodies? How? I will not get naked. “Each task is designed to test each of your abilities. I know more about each of you than even you know. Or admit to yourself.” He nailed me with a stern look. “I will be able to tell if you are not being honest with yourself or me.” He made his way over to the chair that Alex the Grand had sat in front of us. Might as well said me. Clan Head Roberts had placed me in the middle of the line. “We will start with Tex Granfall.”
Damn. Granfall was a very strong and powerful family among the magical world. He would make a great mate for Clan Head Roberts. There was no way Clan Head Roberts would chose someone with less power and fame than a Granfall. I was perfectly same.
“Come forward.”
Tex did as instructed, letting his hands fall to his side. “Sir.”
“Easy.” Clan Head Roberts lifted one of the wands from the table beside him. “I desire to see how well you can protect yourself.”
“This is not my wand, Sir.”
“Does that matter?”
“Yes, Sir.”
“Why?”
“Each of us have by now created a bond with our wand. It is the best way to protect ourselves. Using someone elses wand will weaken our talent.”
“In some cases.” Clan Head Roberts passed the wand to Alex the Grand. “Give this to him and begin.”
Damn. This wasn’t going to be good. I didn’t need to know what Tex said was against the grain. Any magical being should be able to quickly adapt to using any wand within their reach. In a battle you could not promise that your wand would be the closest one. Nope. If you are disarmed then you reach for the first weapon at your side. Any wand would do. Damn. Clan Head Roberts was looking for something specific in the one he chose. Not being the first gave me a bit of insight into how I needed to handles thing.
One by one, each guy came to face off with Alex the Grand. None disarmed him. They tried, but they held no true power behind the wand they were given. The results might have been totally different if they had been able to use the wand they grew up with, but . . . not the point of the test that Clan Head Roberts gave them.
“Quinn, your turn.” I walked up and took the wand from him. Let it hang at my side as I walked back to the taped X. “Face Alex.” I did as told and before I could even blink Alex threw a knock down spell. I could have escaped the simple attack, but I didn’t even lift my wand. Simply let it hit me and fell on my ass. “Quinn, you are way stronger than that. Now show me what you can do.”
“Sir, this is not my - -“
“Do not give me that. Do as instructed. Again, Alex.”
A streak of red scored the airwaves between me and Alex. Heat Searing spell. Would hurt like shit, but I had to make sure that Clan Head Roberts saw what I wanted him to. Since I’d been admonished for not lifting my wand, I cast a simple counter spell that I knew would not detour Alex The Grand’s spell. Once again, I was on my ass.
“I’m growing tired, Alex.”
“Not my fault, Sir.”
“You are playing with him. You know how much I hate that.”
“If you are sure, Sir.” Alex the Grand nodded at his leader and then sent a streak of electric current searing down the air between us. It hit me full force in the chest. Before I could get back to my feet I was hit with another one, except this one put me a couple of feet back. Not sure what angered me the most. Being attacked and letting it happen, or my rash reaction to defend myself from Alex the Grand’s suspend spell. Soon as I saw the complicated swirl of his wand I knew what I had to do. My wand was in the air and copyied his motion, sending my own streak of green haze his way. It nailed him, sending him into a ridged stance for a second before he landed on his back.
“Great job.” Clan Head Roberts snapped his finger and my spell was undone. Alex the Grand stood, wiping off his shirt as he snarled at me.
“Lucky shot.”
“Afraid not, Alex.”
“Was, Sir.”
“Then shall we try it again?”
“Yes.”
“No.”
“Ah . . . I knew you were trying to hide what you are. I knew if Alex kept on goading you with one spell after another that you would get fed-up and show your true power. It takes someone with major skills to counter a spell before it is even cast. Join the others.”
Damn. I’d done the one thing I did not want to. Crap. I was in major trouble.
Clan Head Roberts stood and walked a line in front of us again, stopping at each of us. There was no questions asked. No task placed in front of us. He simply stood there and stared at our heads. When he got to me, he winked and walked past me.
“You skipped him, Sir.” Tex replied.
“I know him all ready.”
“You have never seen me.”
“That is where you are wrong.” Clan Head Robert moved to stand in front of the last guy. “I’ve watched over you since the day you was born.”

No comments:

Post a Comment