Thursday, August 22, 2019

Lies Don't Matter Chapter 2 part 3


Lies Don’t Matter




Adult M/M Content
If under 18 leave sight
Unedited Story




“Pretty good, but nothing is one hundred percent - -“
“There is.” I would take Cree and run. I’d burry us so deep not even my father could fid us.
“What is . . . Oh, Your Highness, that wouldn’t be wise.”
“Sure would be.” I clinched the tabletop. “I won’t lose him. I won’t let our entire race go to the pits because of some stupid humans.”
A squeeze to the back of my neck had me swinging around. My fist contacted with a rough, bumpy surface.
“Hop,” Charlie rubbed his jaw.
Nothing else needed saying. “Damn.” I unclenched my hand and made my way to the sofa. “You okay?”
“yeah, got my shield up before you connected.”
That’s why my knuckled ached. Charlie had let his dragon skin come forward. Charlie was one of about a dozen who could extract one aspect of their skills and remain human. The ones who could were inducted into the enforcer’s rank.
The day I was born father set Charlie up as the leader of the Logan House. Charlie had been my father’s most trusted enforcer, which is why he had been assigned as my main guard. The day I became of age, Charlie had chosen four second ranked enforcers, dragon with natural born fighting skills, to join the Logan House. Together Charlie and them stood guard over him. As much as I’d let them.
“Mr. Logan,” Mr. Davis said from underneath the desk.
“He’s calm. Explain what other options we may have, even the long shots ones.” Charlie nudged my foot.
I scooted over and let Charlie take the spot beside me. “Mr. Davis, I apologize for my brash reaction.”
“It’s fine, Your Highness. You have more control than I would have if my Elizabeth was in the spot.” Mr. Davis moved around the desk and flipped through the paper filled table. “if our Cree is their child and the emancipation fails then . . .” He lifted a piece of paper, “There’s one other options. Long shot, very long, but it might work.
“What is it?’ Charlie took the paper Mr. Davis held out.
I glanced over and saw the newspaper article I’d glanced at earlier. The article was titled, Kidnapper’s Family Gained Custody of Stolen Child.
“It’s only happened twice. This one was five years ago.” Mr. Davis pulled a chair over and sat down. “Problem is . . .well’s there a few differences.”
I took the paper from Charlie and read it. Silence made the tension in the air thicker. My heart clinched with each word I read. Major differences. The girl in the article had been six. The people plead their case all the way to the highest court possible. The child had been disabled. The original family had less money to care for the little girl. Nor was the girl the future of the dragon world.
“Could we expedite the process in any manner?” Charlie took over the talking and I knew it was done to prevent another explosion.
“Yes, but I don’t’ have the contracts I’d need.”
“What do you need?”
“A high-ranking judge who can interfere for us.”
Didn’t have to see Charlie to know he was biting his lower lip. It was on aspect the two of had in common. They both did so when they silently tossed an idea or searched their memory for what was needed. Neither of us kept written records of our contacts. We never knew when the humans might raid our homes. Most of their major information was attached to their minds only. What they did write down was never kept in places where humans could locate them.
“Do we have one?” I leaned aback, trying to show a sense of calmness.
None to show. From the way Mr. Davis sat on the edge of his chair and kept darting his huge eyes around the room, my anxiety made Mr. Davis uncomfortable. Me being unstable, sparked Mr. Davis’ dragon’s side to flee. Mr. Davis still being in the room with me was a huge feat for the submissive dragon.
“No, Your Highness.”
“If we find one how long would it take to gain custody of Cree?” I tried to force my tone into my regular easy to go. Doubted I succeeded, but I tired to ease Mr. Davis’ dragon.
“Depends on what our contact can do for us.” Had to give Mr. Davis high praises, the man didn’t stutter at all. Just kept his voice low.
“Say he can rush the case to his docket.”
“Day. If not then months, maybe.”
Charlie stood and motioned towards the door. “Hop, go and spend time with your man. It will calm you some. I’ll make the call.”
I nodded as Charlie made his way to the grandfather clock and repositioned the hands of the clock, opening one of the many secret passageways in the house.
“Tell father I say hey.”


No comments:

Post a Comment