Thursday, September 5, 2019

Lies Don't Matter Chapter 5 part 2


Adult M/M Content
If under 18 leave sight
Unedited Story



 “Hope so.” Charlie twisted the doorknob, but paused before he pushed the door open. “Makes more sense than Rex and Grace stealing another person’s child.
“Doesn’t matter if Agent Carter did this, or if the Hodges lied to us. Either way, a shit load of crap has been delivered to my man’s doorstep. I won’t have it.”
I’d do whatever it took to ensure my man stayed where I could take care of him. Where I could ensure he has everything he desired. That was my right. He belonged to me. I belonged to him. That’s all that mattered to me and my dragon.
I stepped into the office, letting Charlie bring up the rear. He was the second highest-ranking dragon. No one messed with him and his loved ones. Without facing his wrath. No one wanted that. Just like no one wanted to see just what my dragon would do if they tried to take Cree from me.
Study held about ten, chest high stacks of books. There was no sign of the desk, or Mr. Davis. “Mr. Davis, you in here?”
“Yes, your Highness.” Mr. Davis sounded as if he was behind the books, but I couldn’t see him. “Behind the desk.”
I rose onto my tiptoes, spotting the top of his head. “Why are you on the floor?”
“Desk is full of case studies.”
“Is that good?” I made my way around a few smaller stacks of books until I found the sofa.
“Yes, your Highness.” Mr. Davis relocated half of the books from the desk. “Senator Travis told me which cases to refer to. I’m studying up. This isn’t my area of expertise. I don’t want a surprise to bite my dragon butt.”
“What do they pertain to?”
 “Emancipation. Custody cases. One or two on how Agent Carter’s trickery can be used in our favor.”
“We are still headed down the emancipation path?” I crossed my legs, cursing the anger coursing through me and my dragon.
“Second or third option.”
“First is?” Charlie glanced at his watch.
“Senator Travis wants us to focus on finding a connection between Agent Carter and Denny and Raquel.”
“He’s thinking they are in on some ploy?” Charlie tapped the face of his watch, as he showed me it.
“Yes. He also suggested we hire a private eye to dig into how they allowed their child to be kidnapped.”
Wasn’t considered the story behind the events that supposedly led up to the invaders losing their child.
“He also suggested we look into the Hodges old records.”
“Old records?” I leaned forward. “What for?”
“Money trials. See how they lived before petitioning for entrance to our den.”
Shit. Cree would be devastated if her parents had come here under false pretense. So would Charlie. Charlie knew Rex since he was ten. It’s also how he became Cree’s Godfather. He hadn’t been there for the birth, but had received pictures and spoken to the Hodges every day of Cree’s life. Those two reasons was why Charlie had no qualms on letting the Hodges enter his den when they came back to the states. Shit. Charlie was responsible for them returning to the states. Rex had lost his job in China. Charlie pulled some strings and got Rex on in town. It hadn’t paid nowhere near as much as Rex had been making, so Charlie bought them a house and made up the differences. Charlie told me that he felt it his responsibility since Cree, or Zoe as she was known as then, was his Godchild.
If the Hodges had stolen Cree, Charlie would take on the full blame, even if it was not his fault. He’d feel that way. The man felt any actions of his den member reflected on him. Rex being Charlie’s best friend would tear him in half. Would Charlie handle such a blow? Sure hoped so.
“Time to go.” Charlie kept his normal calm façade up, but I knew the idea of being deceived by Rex and Grace ate at him.
“Charlie?” I stood and waited for him to respond to my unasked questions.
“I’m fine.” Charlie opened the door, waving him out. “Let’s go and get this shit-storm straightened out.”
Charlie put on a great costume when it was needed, but I could see the pain etched across his eyes. If I could see it, Cree would. That would upset him more.
“Pull it together before you see Cree.”
“Yes, your Highness.”
“Didn’t mean to go into top dragon mode.”
“I know. You are worried about him and you should be. Focus on my Godson. Not me. I can handle whatever comes to life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment