Thursday, September 19, 2019

Lies Don't Matter Chapter 8


Lies Don’t Matter
By
Julia Matthews

Adult M/M Content
If under 18 leave sight
Unedited Story




Chapter 8
Cree
Charlie had made sense. Logically at least. If the blood test favored the Stones . . . if the Hodges had stolen me for profit or been mixed up in trying to deceive Godfather then she had better discover the proof to gain control of my own life. Or . . . the court letting me stay with Godfather. Convincing them it wouldn’t be as hard since he’d been supporting me all my life.
“Baby, you back with us?”
I nodded. “have you gained access to their computers?”
“There what? ‘Charlie quirked an eyebrow. “No members have permission to store computer files on us.”
“Not on you.” I sighed. “Dad and mom kept no files on you, but they kept in-depth personal records.”
“What type?” Mr. Davis piped in.
“Finical. Receipts. Deeds. Photos. All kinds of stuff.”
“Do you know where they kept it?” Hop ran his finger up the side of my throat and paused over the edge of my lips.
“It’s in a safe deposit box.”
“They have no boxes in their name.” Charlie frowned.
“Not in their name.” Cree couldn’t believe he was having to spill secrets that her parents should have enlightened Godfather to all these facts. Not me. “It’s in my alias’ name.”
“Which one?” Mr. Davis tugged his computer from his bag.
“Katherine Raquel Stimms. It’s at Rake’s Natural Bank.”
“In Hexton?” Charlie covered his face, mustering, “of course it is. The one town I wouldn’t think to search.
“Why not?” Hop stretched his arm down until his hand reached mine, then twined them together.
“Dad’s hometown. Dad swore it was the safest place to stash ourselves if the Logan House fell.”
“he’s right on that.” Charlie groaned. “It is the one place we have not considered since we left. It was our last resort place. No one knew it was connected to us. Not even . . . “
“Who?”
I leaned forward and stared Godfather down. Me and Hop were the only two people who could get by with doing so. Still, I’d asked my dad several times about Hexton. He never answered me and from the looks of Godfather’s blank stare there would be none coming.
“Uh . . . Sir.” Mr. Davis’s tentative tone had all of us facing him.
“What is it?”
“What is it?”
“I need Cree to verify something for me.”
“What?” Hop tugged up and onto his lap, wrapping both arms around me.
“What name did you say it was listed under?”
“Katherine . . . Fuck.”  The name hadn’t ever registered with me. Too much of a coincidence.
“What!” Hop snapped, making me cringe back from him. “Sorry, baby. What is wrong?”
“The name.”
“What about it?”
“The woman claiming to by my mother is named Raquel. They called me Kay.”
Cool, yet warm arms wrapped me into a deeper cocoon, soothing me until Godfather slammed his head into the back of the limo seat. Not so much his actions, but the fact that he’d cam to the same conclusion as I had. If it was as I feared, then more shit was coming my way.
“How likely is it to be a fluke?” Cree faced Mr. Davis.
He shrugged. “Could be, but . . .”
Didn’t need him to answer. Slim chance since the first name wasn’t Kay and the last name wasn’t Stone. Still, people used nicknames all the time. Kay would be a viable name for Katherine.
Loads of questions. How had my parents came to have me? How did they pull the ruse over Godfather? Why would they even try such? Why did it take so long for my real parents to show up.
List of question could go on and one. Yet, no answers would come until the test results were in, or someone retrieved the compute from the safe deposit box.
“Godfather,” will you be taking me to retrieve their computer?”
Godfather darted his eyes from Mr. Davis to Hop, before he nodded and reached between Mr. Davis and I, opening the partition between the front of the limo and the back.
“Change in plans.” A murmur was all I heard. “Take us to Hexton.” Godfather sat back, sighing. “You and Mr. Davis will have to retrieve what’s inside. Hop and I must remain out of sight.”
Odd. Why? Did it have to do with the same reason behind her dad’s reason of avoiding Hexton?
My mind flooded with one question before the last faded. None were voiced. Not from me, Mr. Davis, Hop, or Godfather. A deep silence plagued the limo. All that could be heard was the hum of the limo moving and the tapping of keyboard keys. Had no clue what Mr. Davis was working on, but he was focused more than a dog eating a chicken bone.
Godfather had closed his eyes, but I knew he wasn’t sleeping. More like he was replaying every detail of the last nineteen years. Had to be killing him to think his best friend had played him. Godfather was a proud man. He worked hard to obtain the life he had. Having his best friend pull the wool over him would more than rake over his nerves. It would eat away at him until he discovered how it happened.
Hop held her tight against him and nuzzled my neck. A simple jester he done when he contemplated a major issue. Not sure what he did when I wasn’t around. Didn’t care. What I did was that he said I cleared his mind and gave him a smoother train of thought. I never knew any of those thoughts. Wished I did. It would help me understand how Hop was a master at working out a puzzle. Then again . . . I feared the one facing me was out of his range.




No comments:

Post a Comment