Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Lies Don't Matter Chapter 9 part 2

Lies Don’t Matter
By
Julia Matthews


Adult M/M Content
If under 18 leave site
Unedited Story


“What do I . . . Mr. Davis?” Was kind of a loss as to what to take and what not to. Hated that feeling and never wanted to be that way again. I was a topdog among the Logan House. I should be able to react to any situation in the proper manner. Not have to depend on others.
“Cree, it’s fine. Breath.” Mr. Davis opened his briefcase he’d brought in with him. He scooped up all the money and passports. Once he removed the brown envelope a silver laptop came into view.
I beat him to the punch about putting it in the briefcase. Didn’t matter. Mr. Davis lifted the case and nodded at the laptop. It needed to stay with me. I was the one who should go through it. Dad left it for me. Not for anyone else. Wrong thinking from the start. I knew Godfather would search it for any secrets it could reveal, but I should be the one who looked at it first. Shouldn’t I? My parents left it for me. Not anyone else. Why though? They knew I would not go against Godfather, or Hop. Those two led the Logan House. We did as they said.
“You have to, Cree.”
“Why?” Whatever was inside could be answers to my situation. It was my right to know before anyone else. “I don’t either.”
“It’s not wise to be seen carrying it outside.”
“Why not?’
“What if the FBI is lurking? Do you not think they’d try anything to gain access to it?”
Damn. They would. Still, no one else had the right to pen the laptop before I did.
“Cree, I’ll give it to you the moment we are back in the limo.”
“Swear it.”
“I swear.”
I slid the laptop ontop of the envelope and snapped the lid closed. “Let’s go.”
Mr. Davis didn’t have to go far to thank Mrs. Kline, she was waiting outside the door. Once she got us past the securities stations we left. Not in haste, like I wanted to, but like a normal person who came to retrieve or put something in their safe box.
Once in the car, I snatched the briefcase from Mr. Davis’s hands. He didn’t bother trying to stop me. It did earn me a scowl from Godfather, but he never aid a word when I retrieved the laptop.
“You sure you want to be the one to look?” Hop laid a hand on my thigh.
No. Had to. “My place to do so.”
Hop didn’t argue with me. He did watch me like a hawk ready to dive bomb at me.
With shaky hands and fingers that circled the perimeter of the computer’s letters I waited for the main screen to greet me with a password request. “Shit.”
What would dad had used? Had he set the computer up, or mom. Either would choose something I would know. Not anyone else.
“Godfather, do you know mom’s favorite flower?”
“Roses.”
“Do you know what dad’s first pet was?”
“Cocker spaniel. His name was Rudy.”
“Damn it.”
“Won’t be a common questions password.” Hop laid his arm behind me.
He was right. They would have chosen a major event in my life. One both of them would be aware of, but . . .
“Godfather, you weren’t there for my birth, was you?”
“No. They were in China.”
I tapped the edge of the computer, thinking over everything that me and mom done by ourselves. Nothing stood out. How likely would it be something that mom, dad, and me done as a family? Not likely. Most of those trips Godfather had been asked to come along. Some he had. Some not. Dad and I had done lots together. One stood out more than the rest, because mom had been pissed at dad. Could understand. He’d taken her on a trip a week long trip to China. He’d only contacted mom when we were in the air and refused to bring me right back home. It’d been a huge telephone fight and then another when we got home. Been so bad, mom sent me to my room. First time in my life, I saw them shout at each other.
“Do you know of a common place they visited over there?”
“Afraid not.” Godfather sighed. “Why do you think the password relates to China?”
Good question. More like it had to do with a personal item to her. Like a charm.
“Do either of you know where I got this?” I lifted my dragon necklace that I’d been sliding through my fingers.
Godfather and Hop shook their heads. My fingers flew over the keyboard and hit enter. The screen faded to black and began booting up.
“Baby, what’s special about the necklace?”
“Dad got it for me when we went to China.”
“China?” Godfather grunted. “He never told me about that.”
Hop glanced at Godfather, whose frown covered his entire face.

No comments:

Post a Comment