Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Lies Don't Matter Chapter 10 Part 2

Lies Don’t Matter
By
Julia Matthews

Adult M/M Content
If under 18 leave sight
Unedited Story




I leaned back and opened one of the files and read through a financial record. One thing was clear, Rex Hodges left his child well off. Pretty much everything the man had belonged to Cree. I read over the list of properties, taking note of how may homes the Hodges had. That’s what was odd. Rex Hodges had a good job, but . . . Charlie had been keeping them living in such a lifestyle he saw befitting his Godson.
The Logan House records proved how much money Rex Hodges brought in from his job. Each den was required to keep monthly records on each member. Father instated the rule when some of the den began wasting money and ended up living off of the dues each member paid. The Logan House never had a money problem, but still they kept records. Charlie took it one step further by requiring a list of all property each member owned and who took care of the properties.
Since Charlie gave the Hodges money so Cree would have what he deemed a suitable lifestyle, there had been even more attention paid to their incoming and outgoing money. Begs the question of how Rex managed to hide ten homes in ten different states. Someone had to helping him. Who? Another dragon? Dragon balls . . . I hoped not. That would be enough to force Charlie into an Ice Dragon tantrum. It’s never a pretty sight to see a grown dragon huff and puff white clouds that freezes everything within a mile radius. It’s have to be brought to Charlie’s attention, but not then. There were other stuff to look at. I closed the file and opened four jpeg files. A photo copy of Cree’s birth certificate, listing Rex Hodges and Raquel Dawn Dray as her parents. The date matched the date we knew belonged to Cree.
“Mr. Davis, will this help?”
Mr. Davis studied the computer screen as I turned it to him. He leaned forward and back a couple of times, nodding and grinning. “It will if it’s true. Would be better if we had the physical copy.”
“Can’t we get that?” Cree twisted around, stretching his legs onto my lap and resting his head against Charlie’s side.
“I would think so.” I opened another photo soon as Mr. Davis nodded his agreement.
“I have it at home.” Charlie ruffled Cree’s hair as he took a sip of his drink.
“Does it match that one?” Mr. Davis pointed at the computer I was once again focused on.
Charlie’s sigh had me frowning up at him when Cree jerked his feet from my lap. The look on Charlie’s face tore at my chest, but I knew there was nothing that was going to ease the pain that Rex Hodges had created in the man.
“Guess not. It states Zoe Gail Hodges.”
“This might help, though.” I motioned for Mr. Davis to scoot over. “It appeared to be an agreement of custody dated before Cree was born.”
Mr. Davis lifted his hand for the computer and I glanced at Cree, who agreed with me. I passed the lawyer the computer and went to rubbing Cree’s leg. Past time of mine that I found contragitic.
“Once again the actual papers would be better.”
Course they would. Photos could be doctored. Rex left so much in that safe box, why not what they really needed.
“Dad would not have left only photocopies.” Cree tugged the briefcase they’d taken inside over and began digging through it.
She tugged out a long envelope, which had me lifting and eyebrow at Mr. Davis.
“Files that was inside the box. Didn’t think about checking them. We’d gone for the computer not passports, money, and envelops.”
“Mistake on your part.” I shook my head at the lawyer’s nonchalant attitude. The moment Mr. Davis saw the jpeg it should have clicked in his mind to check the other papers.
“I forgot to. “Cree pulled several sheets of paper from the long envelope. “Looks like,” she shuffled through several stapled sheets, handing one or two to Charlie.
“Here it is.” I took the sheet she offered me. “It’s her birth certificate.”
“This is the agreement Rex made with Raquel.” Charlie passed the pack of papers to Mr. Davis.
The limo’s partition parted and the driver said, “Sir, there’s an unmarked cruiser sitting outside your gate. Appears to be four inside.”
I glanced out the tinted window as we drove through the iron-rod gate. There was no denying who sat in the front. “Agent Carter and his partner, Douglass Rakes. Don’t know the other two, but they don’t appear to be cops.”
Cree gave a great impression of a dog snarling as he muttered something I couldn’t understand. The sound alone had me scooting to the edge of my seat, blocking him from any possible danger. The dragon inside me hissed and demanded out. Took me a few minutes to gain control, if Cree hadn’t spoken Charlie might have had to buy a new limo

No comments:

Post a Comment