Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Lies Don't Matter Chapter 16 Part 1


Lies Don’t Matter
By
Julia Matthews

Adult M/M Content
If under 18 leave sight
Unedited Story



Zoe
Doubtful I wanted to hear what Hop had to say. I’d been through an earthquake off the Richter Scale, twice in the last two days. What I wanted was to go back in time. Restart my life. Not possible. Knew it too. Meant I had to do what I did best, sit up tall, let the imaginary poker cards unfold and pray for a strait. Little to no chance in hell I’d ever get one, dreaming seemed like a worthwhile shot.
Hop took my hand and Godfather sat beside me. Under Godfather’s eyes there was tinge of red and his cheeks drooped from the frown marring his typical bright and vibrate skin. A look I never saw on him before and one I hoped to never witness again. Knowing dad caused the distress made the basketball size gut churning knot split into and press against my abdomen. Time Hop got down to business so I could alleviate my stress and help Godfather in some manner.
“Lay it on me.” I forced a smile, which Hop wouldn’t’ buy for a split second.
He leaned back, but kept hold of my hand, making so I had to relax backwards. “Baby, you’ve got to let me explain it all before you react.”
Not something I was the best at. Normally. I could do it. Had done it many times. One more time wouldn’t hurt me. Yet . . . I made no promise. If an important question formed it’d be up and out of my mouth before I knew it. Hop knew it as well as Godfather did. Which might have been why Godfather gave a half huff, half chuckle. He even mumbled something about how unlikely it was for me to remain quiet. Okay, maybe I failed at every attempt I made of letting someone explain before reacting. Didn’t most people.
“Mrs. Stone and Agent Carter wanted to tell you their side of the Fire-Breathing Fable. It’s an old one, including some truth and your mother - -“
“She’s not my mother.”
Godfather’s faint snort had me smiling over at him as I mentally chided myself for failing at keeping my mouth shut. Or . . . had I. Hop hadn’t started explaining had he? Sort of. Okay, he had. I sucked at being quiet when I was in the dark.
“Right.” Hop rolled his eyes, then winked at me. “Mrs. Stone and Agent Carter’s version of the fable is somewhat different than the dragons. I’m afraid I know more of the truth than your material family would.”
“Why’s that?” There I went again.
Hop shook his head and sighed. “I knew my request wouldn’t work.”
“Should’ve of.” Godfather hugged me. “Cree is a strong headed man, who will do whatever it takes to gain a clear picture before she gives her final reaction.”
Hop did know it, yet . . . he always hoped I’d be more like the women of the Logan House. Do just what their husbands said. Not something I could ever see myself doing. Then again . . . people did lots of things they never believed they’d do for love.
“The Fire-Breathing Fable was passed down by word of mouth for many generations by Mrs. Stone’s family. By the time it was written down, some of the truth had become distorted. If they ever knew it to begin with.”
“Isn’t that the case with the dragons then?”
“No. the fable was passed down to my father by his father, who lived through it all.”
Wow! Did that mean dragons lived longer than humans? Had to. The family tree I’d saw showed at least ten generations. Did that mean Hop was older than he told me?
“How old are you?” I titled my head to the left, searching for any sign of old age.
Godfather chuckled. “He didn’t lie about his age.”
My gaze shifted to Godfather.
“I on the other hand am older than I said and I won’t tell either of you my age.”
Man. Godfather sure didn’t look old. He had a young appearance about him. I’d always believed he used some kind of cream or something to look so good. Then again . . . My dad always had . . .
“Was my dad older than I knew?”
Godfather nodded. “Right now listen to Hop. Stop interrupting.”
Right. Zip the lips, or . . . have my questions dismissed until he was ready to answer them. In the past, he’d made her wait days for answers.
“This is a basic beauty and the beast story. The beast being a dragon and the princess being the only living daughter of the Dray family. A human, who happened to be fated to the other half of the most powerful dragon alive. When he explained what he was the human reacted like most would have.”
Other words, there’d been running and screaming. Physically, or mentally, if not both. What was for sure, was the woman had made sure the entire village knew to avoid the crazy talking man. Ten generations ago many would have treated the man like a parasite or locked him in an asylum. If not stake him.
“The human refused the dragon leader. The loss of our other half will drive our human side to lose control of our dragon. A dragon in full control results in one of two reactions. Most common being the dragon withdrawing into a cave and living there until his life ends. Those dragons driven to control by a rejected mate has a harsher reaction. It . . .”
Hop’s heavy sigh and downcast eyes had me scooting closer to him. I wrapped my arms around him and tugged him into me. He tucked his head against me and inhaled deeply before sitting up.
“Dragons who work in tandem with their human side breath ice, but when the dragon is in full control because of a rejection they breath fire.”
A huge gray scaled dragon with reddish orange flames shooting from a pointed mouth came to life in my mind. Deadly combination for the entire world. no wonder Hop feared my reaction. The picture sent an imaginary set of acupuncture pins across my mind.
“The dragon ended up setting half of the west coast on fire. Killed everyone in that area, or so we thought. The dragon’s mate and her family took refuge inside a deep cave right before the fire. A day or two after my grandfather killed his dragon leader, and claimed leadership of our kind, the family was spotted making their way through the brunt rubble. My grandfather had someone follow them until they settled down in the mid-west.”
“He let them live.” Wow! Not sure I would have. I mean . . . letting them live endangered all the dragons.

No comments:

Post a Comment