Monday, October 14, 2019

Lies Don't Matter Chapter 14 part 1


Lies Don’t Matter
By
Julia Matthews



Adult M/M Content
If under 18 leave sight
Unedited Story



Chapter 14
Cree
“Raquel, you can’t. It’s against our law.”
“Uncle Randy, I may not know Kay - -“ my grunt had her backtracking, which I figured she’d refused to do. “I mean Cree, but from what you’ve told me and what I’ve seen, my daughter . . . son means what he says. She’ll only listen to their side if I don’t tell him now.”
Looked as if the woman had truly picked up on who I was. Least she’d stopped calling me a she. It was one fear that I had. Not that I really cared how she addressed me. The woman was nothing to me. Never would be. Her time was running out and my feet itched to leave her far behind me.
“Eight minutes.” I tapped my watch.
“What I have to tell you will take more time than that.”
“Highlight it.”
“Can tell she’s your daughter.” Agent Carter’s deep rich huff had me whipping my head towards him and taking a step towards him. Hop’s arms around me was all that stopped me.
“Best tell you Uncle to keep his mouth shut, or I’ll have my Godfather toss all you out.” I rested my head against Hop’s chest, relaxing into the warm air ruffling across my head.
“He’ll remain quiet while I try to hit the main points.” Raquel pointed to Hop, Godfather, and Mr. Davis. “They aren’t what they seem. They have a second side, a dangerous one.”
“everyone has different sides. It’s part of nature.” I was sure all knew that. Her starting off dissing my family wasn’t helping her cause.
Her scrunched up nose and tight lipped half smile goaded me closer to telling her to shove her tale and leave, but I didn’t. Wasn’t sure why, but my gut and mind wanted to hear what she had to say, even if I doubted I would believe a words she said.
“No everyone isn’t like them.”
“Of course not. No one person is the same as another.”
“Cree,” Hop hugged me closer, “I don’t think Mrs. Stone knows what you mean.”
“Maybe I don’t.” Raquel shook her head, frowning as if puzzling something out. “Let me clarify. These three men are not human. They have a deadly animal inside them.”
“Degrading my family does not help you.” I felt my eyes roll, even though I tried not to react to her. “Seven minutes left.”
“You have to keep an open mind to understand what I’m saying. If you don’t then there’s no reason for me to explain your heritage.”
Open mind. Right. I always have an open mind. It took one to be among a family that had a complicated hierarchy. Not only that, I’m a well read woman. Both fictional and non-fiction.
“Mr. Logan is the leader of what you call a family. In reality, the people are his subordinate. He rules over them, because they are like him.”
She knew nothing about the Logan Family. We had a way of life different than most, but it worked and kept us all safe and well off. Not one member of Godfather’s family goes without a need, and most of their wants. No mater what Raquel believed Godfather, Hop and Mr. Davis to be, didn’t matter. They cared and loved me and everyone in our family. That’s what mattered. Yet, something inside me asked the question I knew the woman wanted me to ask.
“What do you believe them to be.”
“A dragon shifter.”
What! Right. Insanity must run on that side of my family. I’d have to ensure I never went down the road that Raquel seemed to be going down. One thing I wasn’t, was crazy. Godfather, Hop, and Mr. Davis was just who they said they were.
“A hard concept. As humans we are taught supernatural creatures do not exist. I promise our family line has known about them for at least ten generations. I wasn’t aware your father was one when we were together. It if had . . . I wouldn’t have . . .”
Raquel might have cut her comment off, but the truth was loud and clear. I wouldn’t have been born. Raquel gave me more ammunition to dislike her. What would she have done if she found out who dad was before I was born? Would she have aborted me? Most likely. Didn’t need the words to know she would have. Didn’t want to hear them either. Thankfully, I didn’t have to. She continued her story, talking a bit faster. Good thing to. Her time was about up.
“Each generation of our family is told the story of how our forebears discovered the existence of the dragon shifters. It isn’t a pretty story, but it is our history and you have the right to know.”
Agent Carter huffed and muttered, “Should’ve known years ago.”
I was tired of him. I was sure there was more to his story as to why I was not made aware of Raquel being my biological mother five years ago when he began hassling Godfather and our family. “Whose fault was it I didn’t? Yours? Raquel?”
“Your fathers.” Raquel hung her head. “he took you from me.”
Oh no she didn’t. Blaming the dead. Blaming the man that raised me into the person I am today. The man that allowed me to be me. Who did not demand I remain a female when I longed to be male. He might not have liked it, but he never rejected how I felt. I would not standby and let her bad mouth my dad without putting in my two-scents.
“Why would he? You two had shared custody.”

No comments:

Post a Comment